This Egyptian Revival style residence in the Plumosa Heights neighborhood was built circa 1928. There was a resurgence in the Egyptian Revival style following the discovery of King Tutankhamen's tomb in 1922.
Among the Egyptian elements of this home are the angled walls, tapering in towards the top. The incised stucco finish was meant to resemble sandstone blocks. A cornice flares out at the very top, just below the flat roofline. Above the front window and the garage door are a pair of bas relief Egyptian religious designs which symbolize protection. A central sun disk flanked by a pair of cobra heads and vulture wings. The deep covered porch is reminiscent of a courtyard.
In 1930 this house was being rented by Hal and May Hinch, their daughter Mildred and May's mother. Mr. Hinch was the manager of the Sprouse-Reitz department store in downtown Oceanside, then located at 119 North Hill Street. Mrs. Hinch also worked there as a saleslady.
Located at 906 West Street.