Sunday, August 25, 2013

Giant Eucalyptus Tree - Escondido, CA, USA

In the early 1900s groves of Eucalyptus trees were planted throughout Southern California in the belief that the wood could be used for railroad ties. Unfortunately that was not to be as the wood warped and cracked.
One of the trees from that era was located in Grape Day Park and had grown to be a giant. It was actually two trees that had grown together into one. It was abruptly decided in April of 2013 that the old "Siamese twin" tree needed to be cut down due to "safety concerns," and on April 19, 2013 that occurred.

This is the tree as it appeared on May 26, 2012.

And this is all that remained on May 25, 2013.

Located in Grape Day Park at 321 North Broadway.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

First Christian Church - Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Built by the Methodists in 1887 after their original building was lost to a windstorm, this brick structure is the oldest church in Lake Elsinore (originally Elsinore).  It was sold to the First Christian congregation in 1923 and has been continuously occupied since then as the First Christian Church.  Prominent features are stained glass windows and the nearly 50-foot tall steeple housing an antique bell.

In February 2013 the Valley of the Mist Chapter of the Colonial Dames XVII Century placed a commemorative plaque in recognition of the building's historical significance.

A photograph at the Lake Elsinore Museum of the Methodist's 1887 dedication ceremony includes a figure believed to be Wyatt Earp - a tall mustached man in a white shirt standing at the top of the steps in front of the door.

Wyatt Earp Believed to be in 1887 Church Photo

Located at 503 West Heald Avenue at the northeast corner of Heald Avenue and Poe Street.

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Tricentennial Time Capsule - Carlsbad, CA, USA

A time capsule containing ordinary everyday items was placed in the Bicentennial Garden in front of the Magee House and dedicated on July 4, 1976.  It is scheduled to be opened on the nation's Tricentennial in 2076.  The Magee House currently houses the Carlsbad Historical Society and is located in Magee Park.


Located at 258 Beech Avenue.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Diamond Jubilee Time Capsule - Oceanside, CA, USA

A time capsule comemmorating the 75th anniversary of the founding of Oceanside was placed in front of City Hall by the City Council in 1958.  It is scheduled to be opened after 75 years in 2033.  There is no official record of what items were placed in the time capsule.
Originally situated in the grass in front of City Hall, the building is now occupied by the Oceanside Museum of Art and the grass has been replaced by Natal Plum, obscurring the marker.

Located at 704 Pier View Way (formerly Third Street)  in front of the Oceanside Museum of Art Gift Shop, west of the original steps.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Thomas Underground Mural - Oceanside, CA, USA

This mural is located on a retaining wall in the alley behind the house located on the corner of North Clementine Street and Surfrider Way. 

In the lower right corner are a name and phone number:  Thomas Underground  760-978-2638.

Located in the alley between North Clementine Street and North Nevada Street, just south of Surfrider Way (formerly Fifth Street).

Friday, June 28, 2013

Egyptian Revival Style - Oceanside, CA, USA

This Egyptian Revival style residence in the Plumosa Heights neighborhood was built circa 1928.  There was a resurgence in the Egyptian Revival style following the discovery of King Tutankhamen's tomb in 1922. 
Among the Egyptian elements of this home are the angled walls, tapering in towards the top.  The incised stucco finish was meant to resemble sandstone blocks.  A cornice flares out at the very top, just below the flat roofline.  Above the front window and the garage door are a pair of bas relief Egyptian religious designs which symbolize protection.  A central sun disk flanked by a pair of cobra heads and vulture wings.  The deep covered porch is reminiscent of a courtyard.

In 1930 this house was being rented by Hal and May Hinch, their daughter Mildred and May's mother.  Mr. Hinch was the manager of the Sprouse-Reitz department store in downtown Oceanside, then located at 119 North Hill Street.  Mrs. Hinch also worked there as a saleslady.

Located at 906 West Street.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Seventh-Day Adventist Church - Escondido, CA, USA

Seven churches were originally granted land by the Escondido Land & Trust Company, this being one of those original seven.  Constructed in 1887 this brick church originally served the Southern Methodists.  It was sold in 1900 to the Seventh-day Adventists who occupied it for a number of years.  It has been enlarged several times and today is occupied by Iglesia Monte De Los Olivos, a Christian church.

An extension has been added to the rear of the original church.

Another extension to the side of the original structure along 4th Avenue.

Located at 331 West 4th Avenue, the original church structure is located on the corner of 4th Avenue and Orange Street.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Van Gogh Mural - Oceanside, CA, USA

In honor of Vincent Van Gogh's birthday, Carlsbad artist Bryan Snyder chose Oceanside as the location of his annual tribute in 2013.  This mural was painted on March 30, 2013 in the pedestian alley known as "Artist's Alley."

Located in the alley between the 200 block of North Coast Highway (formerly North Hill Street) and North Freeman Street, just north of Mission Avenue.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Time Capsule, Mission San Luis Rey - Oceanside, CA, USA

In 1998 Mission San Luis Rey de Francia celebrated the Bicentennial of its founding.  As part of the celebration a time capsule was placed in the floor of the Mission Sanctuary to be opened in 50 years.

1798 - 1998
to be opened 2048

Located at 4050 Mission Avenue.  The time capsule is in the floor of the Mission Sanctuary, just inside the entrance, to the right.

Pier Mural - Oceanside, CA, USA

This mural, depicting the Oceanside Pier, was painted by artist Mark McBee in 1998.

Located on the north exterior wall of 604 North Coast Highway (formerly North Hill Street), currently the location of Veneto's Italian Restaurant.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

VA Oceanside Clinic - Oceanside, CA, USA

A part of the VA (Veterans Administration) San Diego Healthcare System, the Oceanside Clinic was opened on May 18, 2010.  At 66,465 square feet and two stories this clinic is able to provide outpatient services for up to 88,000 visits per year.

Located at 1300 Rancho Del Oro Drive.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Veterans Memorial - Escondido, CA, USA



Wherever they
may rest

Located in Oak Hill Memorial Park, in front of the cemetery office, at 2640 Glenridge Road.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

SunPower Solar Power System - Fallbrook, CA, USA

Located at the Fallbrook Public Utility District's wastewater treatment plant this solar panel project covers 8 acres.  The 2700 solar panels are expected to generate 2.4 million kilo-watt hours of energy, supplying the treatment plant with 70 percent of its energy.  Programed to tilt up to 45 degrees the panels track the Sun's movement from east to west throughout the day and provide approximately the same energy as 5000 fixed panels.  The project was dedicated in a ceremony held on June 7, 2011.

Located just to the south of 1425 Alturas Road.

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Eastside Community Garden - Oceanside, CA, USA

With 53 plots this is the largest of the Community Gardens in Oceanside.  It is located on city-owned land that will one day be the location of low-income housing.  At that time the garden will be relocated.

Located on the 300 block of North Weitzel Street at the intersection of Pier View Way (formerly Fourth Street).  The garden is on the northeast corner and is bordered on the east by Interstate 5.

Happy Mothers Day Mural - Escondido, CA, USA

This mural in honor of Mothers Day 2013 is signed by artist Zane.  Photographed on May 3, 2013, it was located on the west exterior wall of Rosemary Duff Florist.

Located at 101 West 2nd Avenue, next to the parking lot.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Charles Hatfield House - Valley Center, CA, USA

This house, thought to have been built circa 1920,  is believed to have been occupied for a time by Charles Hatfield.  In 1916 the City of San Diego hired local rainmaker Charles Hatfield to produce rain.  A resident of San Diego County, Mr. Hatfield had been known to experiment in rainmaking by burning chemicals from the tops of towers.  Whether Charles Hatfield actually produced rain or if it was just a coincidence will probably never be known, but the ensuing rainstorm washed out roads, bridges and dams and resulted in multiple deaths not only in San Diego but throughout all of southern California.  The movie, The Rainmaker, starring Burt Lancaster is a fictionalized account of the incident.

No proof exists that Charles Hatfield actually lived in this house, but old stories and local legends seem to indicate that he burned chemicals from a tower on this property and, although he was not the owner, he did live briefly in the house.  According to a recorded  interview he did state that he had lived in Valley Center.

The house has been unoccupied and deteriorating for years and the property has been sold.  A commercial development called Hatfield Corners is planned at the location.  During the week of April 21, 2013 the house was demolished, and on Sunday, April 28, no trace of it remains.  The landowner had offered to let anyone who was willing to pay to have the house moved off the property to have it, but after several months there were no takers.

In the 1960s my step-grandparents lived in Valley Center and we drove out there several times a month.  This house was always a "landmark" for me on those drives.  It was situated up an embankment and that great porch overlooked the main road.  It has only been in the last few years that I heard of the Charles Hatfield connection, and I will miss seeing this house and the memories it brings.

Formerly located on the west side of Valley Center Road at the intersection of Woods Valley Road.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Fire Station #7 - Oceanside, CA, USA

Oceanside's Fire Station #7 opened in July of 2008.  It features a Mission style design complimenting Mission San Luis Rey not far to its east.  This station serves the western San Luis Rey Valley area.

Located at 3350 Mission Avenue, just east of Foussat Street and south of the 76 Expressway.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Henie Hills - Oceanside, CA, USA

In 1939 Olympic ice skater and movie star Sonja Henie and her brother Leif began purchasing 1600 acres of undeveloped land in the hills east of El Camino Real and north of the present Highway 78.  They had a private retreat there and entertained Hollywood friends.  Leif and his wife Gerd had a 3629 sq. ft. home built.  By the 1950s the land was being developed into estate view homes and later parcels were sold to developers.  The land where Tri-City Hospital and MiraCosta College are now located was once part of the Henie's land holdings.  Today the homes in Henie Hills Estates remain subject to minimum standards of lot size and square footage.

Entrance to Henie Hills Estates on Skyline Drive.

Located east of El Camino Real, north of Highway 78 and south of Oceanside Boulevard.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Utility Box Art - Oceanside, CA, USA

In 2008 the Oceanside Arts Commission facilitated the painting of 20 gray utility boxes located at the Oceanside Harbor by volunteer artists.   The project took two years to complete.  The artwork on this utility box depicts children playing on the beach.

Located on Harbor Drive South in the public parking lot, next to the beach.

Friday, March 22, 2013

San Diego Law Library, North County Branch - Vista, CA, USA

Part of the statewide system of County Law Libraries established in 1891, this is one of four located in San Diego County.  Open to the public six days a week.

Located at 325 South Melrose Drive, Suite 300.