Saturday, September 24, 2011

Carlsbad Village Theatre - Carlsbad, CA, USA

Construction began in 1926 on the Spanish Eclectic style Carlsbad Theatre at an original cost of $40,000.  Among its features were a full stage, orchestra pit and pipe organ and it opened with a showing of the Clara Bow film, It, on February 8, 1927.  Several upgrades have taken place since a major renovation was completed in 2000, and the Theatre is available for event rental for live stage performances, film and special events.

Located at 2822 State Street.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Lions Park (aka Frenzel Park) - Oceanside, CA, USA

An Oceanside City Park, this small .5 acre neighborhood park is named after the Oceanside Sea Lions Club, members of Lions International.  It features a bbq and picnic table and is partly shaded.  A chain-link fence separates the park from the railroad tracks that border its western edge.

For Benchmark hunters, U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey Benchmark DX1222 is located in this park.

Located at the northwest corner of Cassidy Street and Broadway Street several blocks from the beach.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Santa Fe Depot - Carlsbad, CA, USA

Built in 1887 in the Queen Anne style and in service from 1888 until 1959.  The building was acquired by the City of Carlsbad in 1960 and has housed the Chamber of Commerce and most recently the Convention and Visitors Bureau.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it was the first commercial building in Carlsbad and remains in its original location.


Located on the east side of the railroad tracks between Carlsbad Village Drive and Grand Avenue.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Old St. Michael's by-the-Sea Episcopal Church - Carlsbad, CA, USA

Built in 1894 and originally located at Lincoln Street and Oak Street, the gothic-style church was once the only church in Carlsbad and is one of the four oldest buildings in the village.  It was moved to it's present location in January of 1959 where it serves as the Chapel on the grounds of the present St. Michael's by-the-Sea Episcopal Church.

Located at 2775 Carlsbad Boulevard.

The Old Ones - Fallbrook, CA, USA

The Old Ones, a mural painted in 1997 by artist Brett Stokes, is part of Fallbrook Art in Public Places.

Located at the southern end of the Town Center Parking Lot, off Alvarado between Mission Road and Main Avenue.

The Happies - Fallbrook, CA, USA

The Happies, a pair of dancing figures by sculptor Barrett DeBusk, is part of Fallbrook Art in Public Places.  Placed in May of 2008.

Located on the northwest corner of Fallbrook Street and Mission Road.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Besta-Wan Pizza House - Cardiff-by-the-Sea, CA, USA

Besta-Wan Pizza House has remained a popular Italian eatery since opening in Cardiff in 1965. 

In the late 1960s my step-brother pitched several seasons for their slow-pitch softball team.
Located at 148 Aberdeen Drive near the southern end of San Elijo State Beach Campground.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Seascape Mural - Oceanside, CA, USA

This 125' x 35' seascape mural covers the north exterior wall of the Beach Recreation Center.  It was painted in 1992 by noted marine artist John Jennings.

Located at 300 North The Strand, just north of the pier.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Main Street Bridge - Temecula, CA, USA

The Main Street Bridge over Murrieta Creek in Old Town Temecula was built in 1945.  The concrete and wooden slab-type bridge was typical for that era and remains relatively sturdy.  It is scheduled to be replaced sometime late in 2011 with a steel-truss-type bridge that will not require support columns in the creek.  The present bridge has an extremely narrow pedestian sidewalk.  The new bridge will have a wider sidewalk with a barrier separating it from traffic.

Located on Main Street between Pujol Street and Front Street.  Caltrans Bridge Number 56C0227.

United Methodist Church - Winchester, CA, USA

Organized in 1886 as the Methodist Episcopal Church, the building was completed in 1887.  It is still active today.

Located at 33005 Taylor Street.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Old Richland Schoolhouse - San Marcos, CA, USA

This New England style schoolhouse was built in 1889 with redwood boards and square nails.  It was originally called Richland School and served the Richland area which eventually became part of San Marcos. Built as a one-room schoolhouse, a second classroom was added in 1890 with one room serving grades one through four and the other serving grades five through eight.  It was the first schoolhouse in San Marcos to have a bell and operated without electricity or running water until the late 1930s.  The school remained in continuous operation until 1947.  It was reopened from 1951 to 1957 to handle an overflow of 2nd and 3rd grade students from the Richmar Elementary School District.  It was purchased in 1966 and turned into a private residence with preservation of the schoolhouse in mind.  Preservation and restoration work continued when it was again sold in 1984 and it was opened as an event venue in 1997.  In 2002 it was leased by Ability Academy who operated it as Old Richland Schoolhouse Events and Applied Scholastics Academy, a private academy for kindergarten through 6th grade, as well as a popular event and wedding venue.  Citing economic difficulties Ability Academy ceased all education and event operations on the property at the end of July 2011. 

Located on a hilltop on 4.4 parklike acres on the NW corner of Woodland Parkway and Mission Road.

Addendum October 24, 2011:
On September 1, 2011 San Diego Special Events Co. leased the property.  They have refurbished the schoolhouse and property, and special events and weddings have resumed.

Friday, September 2, 2011

1910 San Marcos Schoolhouse - San Marcos, CA, USA

Built in 1910 by Izaac Hall, the one-room schoolhouse was originally located on San Marcos Boulevard.  It was active as a school through the 1950s, at which time it was abandoned.  Rebuilt in the early 1970s by William Carroll it became the home of a local weekly newspaper, the San Marcos Outlook.  The schoolhouse has been relocated to Grand Avenue where it presently houses a dental office, Softley Dental.

Located at 1511 Grand Avenue.