Thursday, September 27, 2012

Jackie Heyneman Park - Fallbrook, CA, USA

This half-acre community park, owned and maintained by the Fallbrook Village Association, is located on South Mission Road.  Formerly called Beech Street Park it was renamed in honor of local resident and activist Jackie Heyneman in a ceremony on May 5, 2012.  Jackie Heyneman has been a long-time volunteer with the Fallbrook Land Conservancy and the Save Our Forest Committee, working to plant new trees as well as saving many of the older trees in Fallbrook. 

This is a lovely shaded park which includes a large grassy area and benches along the paved walking path which surrounds it.  It was originally dedicated to the people of Fallbrook on June 6, 1996.

View through the park from north to south.

View through the park from south to north.

It's very easy to miss this little park when driving past on South Mission Road as only the treetops are visible.  It's worth stopping and checking out and would be a lovely, quiet spot for a picnic.

Former Beech Street Park signage.

Located on the east side of South Mission Road between Beech Street and Ash Street.  Access the parking area from Beech Street.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Palmquist Elementary School - Oceanside, CA, USA

Part of the Oceanside Unified School District, Palmquist Elementary School once served grades Kindergarten through 6th.  6th grade in recent years has been incorporated into the "middle schools," leaving the elementary schools with Kindergarten through 5th grades.  Built circa 1960, Palmquist Elementary School will be closed during the 2012-2013 school year for extensive renovations.  Its classes will be held at an alternate location, the former Ditmar Elementary School, during this time.

The existing buildings are currently undergoing demolition.

Located at 1999 California Street.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

First Church of Christ, Scientist - Oceanside, CA, USA

Oceanside's First Church of Christ, Scientist was established in 1934 with the joining of the Carlsbad church and the Oceanside church.  Their church was built in 1937 on property purchased in 1928.  The building continues to house the First Church of Christ, Scientist to this day.

 A Christian Science Reading Room adjoins the sanctuary.

Located at 300 South Ditmar Street on the southeast corner of South Ditmar Street and Michigan Avenue.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Moonlight Beach Overlook - Encinitas, CA, USA

Maintained by the City of Encinitas Parks and Recreation Department, this small bluffside park and overlook is situated just south of Moonlight State Beach.  It features a grassy area with a picnic table as well as several benches overlooking the beach and ocean.

Located at 400 Moonlight Lane at C Street.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Get Your Smokey On - Oak Grove, CA, USA

Smokey Bear Fire Danger Today! sign.  Prevent Forest Fires.

Located in front of the Oak Grove USFS Fire Station, 31560 CA-79, (Oak Grove) Warner Springs.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Brother Benno's Kitchen (Original Location) - Oceanside, CA, USA

In 1983 Harold and Kay Kutler started a non-profit foundation to help the poor.  It was called the Brother Benno Foundation after Brother Benno (born Thomas) Garrity, O.S.B., a Benedictine monk at the St. Charles Priory in Oceanside.  Brother Benno had a reputation for helping the poor with food, furniture and in whatever ways he could.  He baked bread in the kitchen at the Priory and gave much of it to area merchants in exchange for goods he could distribute to those in need.  The Kutlers started a soup kitchen near downtown in this house built in 1923.  It was in operation from 1983 to 1991 at which time services were moved to a larger facility in the San Luis Rey Valley, the Brother Benno Center.  It is estimated that 470,887 meals were served at the original Kitchen, with an average of 84 meals a night the first year growing to 210 meals a night in 1991.  The original structure was rehabilitated and on October 21, 2001, the 18th anniversary of its opening, it was dedicated as an honorary historical site. 

Located at 307 Minnesota Avenue.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Rancho Minerva - Vista, CA, USA

Greek immigrant Nicholas Huntalas and his new wife, Bessie (Papsino), settled in Vista in 1916 on a 420-acre ranch where Nick had lived since acquiring it in 1911.  He built a 4-room wooden home for his new family and named the property Rancho Minerva after the Roman goddess of wisdom.  Because water was scarce people in the area dry farmed, but the newly formed Vista Irrigation District made water available in 1923 and the Huntalases became citrus and avocado growers.  After the birth of their children they built a 3400 square foot 2-story Spanish Revival style home which still stands.  Dirt from the excavation of the basement and wine cellar was used to make the adobe bricks for the home's 14-inch thick walls.  Construction began in 1933 and was completed in 1934, and the home was the center of social gatherings for the community for many years.  Eventually the property was acquired by the Vista Unified School District.  The City of Vista gained the two-acre parcel surrounding the adobe home through a land swap with the school district.  Rancho Minerva Middle School opened across Foothill Drive in 2007 on the old ranch property.  In September 2009 the Vista Historical Society entered into a 25-year lease with the City of Vista and relocated their museum to the old adobe house.

Located at 2317 Old Foothill Drive at the intersection of San Clemente Avenue.  The home is visible from Foothill Drive, directly across the street from Rancho Minerva Middle School.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

We've All Had a Hand in It - Encinitas, CA, USA

We've All Had a Hand in It, a sculpture by artist Carolyn Guerra, was on display in San Diego Botanic Garden (formerly Quail Botanical Gardens) from September 12, 2009 through March 1, 2010.  It was constructed from concrete with ceramic and glass inserts over insulated concrete foam.  The 79-inch tall sculpture was part of the second annual Sculpture in the Garden exhibit, a collaboration between San Diego Botanic Garden and the San Diego Fine Art Society.
San Diego Botanic Garden is located at 230 Quail Gardens Drive.