Greek immigrant Nicholas Huntalas and his new wife, Bessie (Papsino), settled in Vista in 1916 on a 420-acre ranch where Nick had lived since acquiring it in 1911. He built a 4-room wooden home for his new family and named the property Rancho Minerva after the Roman goddess of wisdom. Because water was scarce people in the area dry farmed, but the newly formed Vista Irrigation District made water available in 1923 and the Huntalases became citrus and avocado growers. After the birth of their children they built a 3400 square foot 2-story Spanish Revival style home which still stands. Dirt from the excavation of the basement and wine cellar was used to make the adobe bricks for the home's 14-inch thick walls. Construction began in 1933 and was completed in 1934, and the home was the center of social gatherings for the community for many years. Eventually the property was acquired by the Vista Unified School District. The City of Vista gained the two-acre parcel surrounding the adobe home through a land swap with the school district. Rancho Minerva Middle School opened across Foothill Drive in 2007 on the old ranch property. In September 2009 the Vista Historical Society entered into a 25-year lease with the City of Vista and relocated their museum to the old adobe house.
Located at 2317 Old Foothill Drive at the intersection of San Clemente Avenue. The home is visible from Foothill Drive, directly across the street from Rancho Minerva Middle School.