This New England style schoolhouse was built in 1889 with redwood boards and square nails. It was originally called Richland School and served the Richland area which eventually became part of San Marcos. Built as a one-room schoolhouse, a second classroom was added in 1890 with one room serving grades one through four and the other serving grades five through eight. It was the first schoolhouse in San Marcos to have a bell and operated without electricity or running water until the late 1930s. The school remained in continuous operation until 1947. It was reopened from 1951 to 1957 to handle an overflow of 2nd and 3rd grade students from the Richmar Elementary School District. It was purchased in 1966 and turned into a private residence with preservation of the schoolhouse in mind. Preservation and restoration work continued when it was again sold in 1984 and it was opened as an event venue in 1997. In 2002 it was leased by Ability Academy who operated it as Old Richland Schoolhouse Events and Applied Scholastics Academy, a private academy for kindergarten through 6th grade, as well as a popular event and wedding venue. Citing economic difficulties Ability Academy ceased all education and event operations on the property at the end of July 2011.
Located on a hilltop on 4.4 parklike acres on the NW corner of Woodland Parkway and Mission Road.
Addendum October 24, 2011:
On September 1, 2011 San Diego Special Events Co. leased the property. They have refurbished the schoolhouse and property, and special events and weddings have resumed.