This beachfront Victorian house, built in 1889, is situated on a bluff overlooking the Pacific ocean. It was once the home of Oceanside pioneer, Melchior Pieper. He was the proprietor of the South Pacific Hotel, as well as the owner of the bathhouse on the beach and the St. Cloud Hotel, all of which were located in the vicinity of Third Street (now Pierview Way).
When Oceanside's first pier, located at the end of Wisconsin Street, was destroyed by a storm in 1890, Pieper campaigned vigorously to have a new pier built at the end of Third Street. After several years it was agreed to and Oceanside's second pier was built there. Completed in 1894, and built using iron pipe, it was 400 feet in length and known as the "iron wharf." As predicted, it helped make Oceanside a resort destination.
Located at 601 North Pacific Street, on the northwest corner of North Pacific Street and Surfrider Way (formerly Fifth Street).