In 1950 Erwin Sklar purchased property in downtown Oceanside and began construction of this Steamline Moderne theater. When the Crest Theater opened around March of 1951 it was one of the largest single-screen movie theaters in San Diego County. It screened family-friendly films for several decades. Eventually it was taken over by Pussycat Theatres and continued to operate as a movie theater until the late 1980s. It is presently home to a church, Grace Chapel of the Coast. The movie screen remains and films are occaisionally shown there. The sign that now has the letters G R A C E originally held the letters C R E S T. The pillar and planter below was originally the location of the ticket booth.
Located at 102 - 108 North Freeman Street on the northeast corner of Freeman Street and Seagaze Drive (formerly First Street).