One of several community gardens located within Carlsbad. Formerly known as Carlsbad Community Garden it was renamed in November 2006 to honor the late Harold E. Smerdu, a retired local gladioli grower and avid gardener. After his retirement Mr. Smerdu maintained several plots at the community garden where he gardened full-time, five-and-a-half days a week. He helped other gardeners with their plots and shared his harvest with the community.
The garden consists of 52 plots, 20' by 30', with an annual use fee of $90/year. Priority is given to Carlsbad residents and there is a lengthy waiting list. The property is owned by the City of Carlsbad who provides water for irrigation.
Located at 1250 Laguna Drive, just north of the Georgina Cole Library.